Fictitious Business Names
Who needs to file a Fictitious Business Name Statement?
- Individual: when the registrant's surname (last name) is not part of the business name and no other words suggest the existence of additional owners
- Partnerships or other associations of persons: when the surnames of each general partner are not part of the business name and no other words suggest the existence of additional owners
- Corporations: when using a name other than the name registered with the Secretary of State Corporate Filing Division
- Limited Liability Company: when using a name other than the name registered as a limited liability company with the Secretary of State
- When the name contains words that suggest the existence of additional owners, such as Company, & Company, & Associates, & Sons, & Group, etc.
What is the filing process?
- Fill out an online application, then appear at the Clerk-Recorders Office within 10 working days, at 155 Nelson Ave., Oroville, with valid ID.
- Applications are available in the County Clerk-Recorder's Office or you may print from the applications below.
- The fee is $50.00 for the first business name and first owner's name on the same statement; each additional business name and owner's name is an additional $5.00
- After filing, the statement must be published in a newspaper of general circulation, once a week for four successive weeks, with the first publication occurring within 30 days of the filing date
- The statement expires five years from the date of filing or 40 days after any change in facts of the statement (except any change of residential address for any registrant)